Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Mountain Woman Music: February



Our team here at Girls Pearls and Powder (me, Andie, & Jeffery) have collaborated again to make a mountain woman playlist for the month of February.

1. Adorn, by Miguel - this song is perfect for February, every girl deserves love and a man like Miguel. Just let his love adore you. (Andie)

2. Riptide, by Vance Joy - a true mountain woman inspires people with her life and love. And as such, she will have at least one song written about her in her lifetime. Even if she never knows about. This is simply because she is unforgettable. Vance will tell you what I'm talking about. (Jeffery)

3. Our Hell, by Emily Hanes & The Soft Skeleton - Emily Hanes, she is the lead singer for the band Metric (who we all know and love), and a member of the Broken Social Scene. Her voice is awesome. This song is off of their album released in 2006. I think it's really good... "our hell is a good life", I like that. (Whitney)

4. Our Own Mountains, by Nonaphoenix - If you ask me, this song is Girls Pearls and Powder's theme. Take a look at the mountains in your life and you will realize that you made them all yourself. We either make things difficult for ourselves by burning bridges of focusing on our flaws, or we label our problems as insurmountable without even trying, or giving up too early. But if you made them, you can definitely conquer them! Take a risk. Mend something you broke. Start before you're ready. Our lives are too short to waist any time keeping track of enemies and fears. And mountain women are too strong to stay wounded for long. "There's an old world out there waiting for some new air". So get out there, girl! (Jeffery)

5. Pumpin Blood, by NONONO - I heard this on the radio a few days ago and it got me so excited. It made me feel like nothing could go wrong, and when I got home the music video sold me on it. I want to be the singer, Stina Wappling, and loved the guy dancing in the diner by himself. I love all of their stuff, but can't help feel inspired when I hear this one. Gives me chills. (Andie)

6. Endlessly She Said, by AFI - another song from a few years ago, this one comes from the punk-rock-loving part of my heart. Davey Havok has the most romantic voice... when I thought of a good February song, AFI popped into my mind. It's cold, it's dark, it's an emo valentine. (Whitney)

7. Weathervane, by Coral Bones - the other day my friend sent me this guy's CD... he's a local here in Provo, and I fell in love with him! I think he has a very fun unique sound, different from what you hear on the scene these days. Weathervane is my favorite song off the whole album, the beginning is super catchy. (Andie)

8. I Will Remain, by Matthew and the Atlas - all mountain women need a little folk in their music repertoire. So listen and love. Matthew knows what he is doing. (Jeffery)

9. Somebody Loves You, by Betty Who - this song makes me cry, like sob cry. This may be the greatest love song of all time... okay, I'm kidding, but it's up there. We all want our Valentine to love us like this. (Whitney)

10. I Couldn't Be Your Friend, by Tegan and Sara - this may not be the best song for a month that's set aside for love, but this song (and their whole album) is perfect for those bad break ups. From their song I Was A Fool and How Come You Don' t Want Me... Tegan and Sara understand, they are the girls who got your back. (Andie)

11. All I Want, by Kodaline - my number one reason for adding these songs is the music videos. Yes, videos. There are two for this song (video 1 and video 2). And though the song seems sad on its own, the videos tell a tale of hope. Watch them and let them tug at your emotions. (Jeffery)

12. Hard Way Home, by Brandi Carlile - Brandi is a great example of a mountain woman. In Hard Way Home she takes a moment to reflect on past mistakes and recognizes that she may have made things more difficult than they needed to be. As we head in to the second month of this shiny New Year, it's important to think of how we would do things different if we were given another chance. I'm not saying we should live in the past, but there is a reason cars have rear view mirrors. Move forward, but remember what you moved through. (Jeffery)

13. Mykonos (by Fleet Foxes), remixed by The Twelves - these guys are amazing. They are a DJ duo from Brazil. Everything that I've heard by them is super fun and catchy. This song gets me every time it comes on, I can't help but get up and dance a little. I love Fleet Foxes, and this remix puts it over the top. (Andie)

14. The One That Got Away, by The Civil Wars - I like this emotional song. The Civil Wars is pretty great mountain woman music. (Whitney)

15. 4 + 20, by Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - a lonely mountain man sent me this song to listen to a while ago. It made me sad. (Whitney)

Peace and pine trees,
The GPP Team!



____________________________________
Other Mountain Woman Music Lists:
January
March
April
May - 2006 Edition
End of Summer

No comments:

Post a Comment

+ + + + + +