Friday, March 14, 2014

Mountain Woman Music: March



Some lovely tunes for my least favorite month:

1. California (Cast Iron Soul), by Jamestown Revivals - Jeffery sent me this song a couple weeks ago and I absolutely love it. It's off their album called Utah, and how can you not love an album called that?

Jamestown Revivals is a cool band. The two guys who started it are from Texas who moved to L.A. when they got into music, but wrote the album 'Utah' in Utah... in some cabin in Wasatch County (which is right up the road from me).... their biography says "In order to capture the spirit of the music, the two found a log cabin high within the Wasatch Mountains of Utah. The pair, along with their band and engineer, set out to convert it in to a temporary recording studio. With wild moose right outside the window, and aspen leaves spinning in the wind, they tracked 14 songs. Performed live, with no headphones, and entirely to tape, the process captured the moments in the room." ...sounds dreamy.

Some more about the band from their website... "Jamestown Revival is more than music.  It’s an idea, and it’s a movement.  It’s grass roots, and it’s back porch.  Our strength is in numbers, but our individuality is ever present.  We appreciate the simpler things, and we know where we came from.  We value timelessness over trendiness, and quality over quantity. We are Revivalists" ...sounds dreamier still.

The song California speaks to my soul. I was in love when I moved to California, I was head strong with open naive eyes. I left that state after my marriage fell apart, moved back to my beloved Utah, and I sometimes feel that I traded in my "open eyes" for a "cast iron soul" while living there. So this song was written for me, and anyone else who has moved away from home and was toughened up by the experience.

2. Eye For An Eye, by The Lonesome Billies - I heard this song on a snowboard video and I think it's amazing. I downloaded their entire Useless Bay EP... and it's pretty awesome. I get a kick out of their old country sound.

3. Sprawl II (Mountains Upon Mountains), by Arcade Fire - back in 2010 The Suburbs was released. I was so excited to have new Arcade Fire to listen to that I made a special trip to a CD store to go and buy it. I wanted the physical CD, with all the artwork in the sleeve, not just the download. One time through the album and I was obsessed with this track. Obsessed. I played it over and over again in my car. And the following year I was fortunate enough to see them perform it live, twice, at two different concerts. At each concert I hung on the edge of my seat waiting for them to perform this song, and completely melted when they did. Then... as time moved on, I stopped listening to it, started listening to other music, and I guess forgot about it. I don't know how. Well, I was walking around a banana republic outlet store last week and it started playing overhead. It sort of made my knees buckle to hear it again. It was like running into an ex-lover or something, and feeling sad we had grown apart...

Well, that's all I have for you this time, short and sweet like I hope the month of March is.

What is everyone else listening to? Tell me please!

Peace & Pine Trees,
Whitney Joy



____________________________________
Other Mountain Woman Music Lists:
January
February
April
May - 2006 Edition
End of Summer

No comments:

Post a Comment

+ + + + + +