Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Mountain Woman Music: April


I have never suffered from seasonal depression, I love snow and snowboarding too much to get sad in the winter. But I do suffer from seasonal anxiety in the spring time. I think it started when I was in college... the spring semester would come to an end and I would have to decide what I was going to do with myself all summer. Would I take more classes? Work full time? Travel? Move home to save money? I never knew for certain what my plans were.

Spring time represents renewal and rebirth, which makes me pressure myself to also be reborn and renewed. I always want to set new healthy goals, and get into a new routine. But with so many options floating around my brain on what to do, and me being as fickle as the spring weather... it's always hard to get into a healthy steady groove. 

Even now I am anxious about my life and wonder where I will be working in a week. The snow is melting at Sundance, so my days as a snowboard instructor are over for the season. I've applied to a few places, and have registered to go back to school... but who knows what these April showers will bring me!

Ah, but there is one thing that is for sure happening this month... which I think is pretty rad... Andie is moving to Alaska this month to drive tour buses for the summer! So exciting! So because I need some awesome tunes to help me to take on my spring time blues, and because Jeffery is so happy winter is over, and because Andie is about to embark on a real life mountain woman adventure, here are our April jams for you. I hope they fill your soul with sunshine, and help you shake off your spring time anxiety.... everything is going to be just fine... May flowers are on their way!

1. Completely Not Me by Jenny Lewis - It's Spring! Spring 2014! Who ever thought we'd make it? I sure didn't. This was the longest, hardest winter of my life. And I've never understood why the new year starts in January. Why are we starting our new year in the middle of last year's weather? Nothing feels new or refreshed. Spiritually, I think the year REALLY starts in Spring. It's a time for birth and rebirth and new beginnings. There is nothing like that first warm spring day where you can't help but open every window in your house and blast some music. And it's got to be upbeat! So all my suggestions this month will be bouncy, open-window friendly. Starting with this happy ditty about death by Jenny Lewis. (Jeffery)

2. Ain't It Fun by Paramore - I love paramore. I always have and, most likely, always will. This song just gets me. I love it. It's kinda the "I miss you but I don't need you" part of my spring jam (as Jeffery calls it). (Andie)

3. Spitting Venom by Modest Mouse - I love how transitional this song is. It's over 8 minutes long, and I wish it were longer. It starts off with an up beat, almost country sounding, melody... then moves into classic modest mouse rock with brassy sounding guitar and the music building on itself over and over again till it's back to the little country diddy... then it goes a little bluesy with a good back beat.... and some horn instrument takes a solo... after that the guitar melody comes back and Isaac Brock starts to gently sing again... followed by a long instrumental ending and more voices joining him. And just like that it's over and you have to hit replay again. (Whitney)

4. Happy by Pharrell Williams - I don't care what anyone says, but I love this song and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Not only is the music video the best thing to lay eyes on, but the song just makes me happy. Nothing can bring me down when I'm listening to it. And come on.. Pharrelll?.. am I right?! (Andie)

5. Blood by Tired Pony - do you remember Snow Patrol? Well Tired Pony is the same guy... he just wanted to make a "country-tinged" album (who can blame him?). So far he's made two, and I hope there is more to come. Along with Snow Patrol's Gary Lightbody the band consists of Richard Colburn of Belle & Sebastian, Peter Buck of R.E.M., and many other talented people. This song, Blood, is off his ablum that was release last summer called The Ghost of the Mountain.... yeah, okay, I'm sold. (Jeffery)

6. Delta by C2C - this song is a good representation of the music that I like to keep to myself, when truly deep down, this song is the jam to my toast. This is the kind of music I don't force my friends to listen to, due to it's repetitive beat and electronic feel. This one is just too good not to share here. I've had this song on repeat for the past two weeks, I'm obsessed with it. I don't even know how I came across this gem, but it's now one of my favorites. (Andie)

7. Let's Get Out of This Country by Camera Obscura - oooooh, this is a good one. I do want to get out of the country, I'm bored with me... Every line is close to a thought I have had the past month. (Whitney)

8. We Will All Be Changed by Seryn - "Speak now. Don't tarry on like it's always gonna be. Hold, child, this expectation. But don't forget to love." (Jeffery)

9. Not Dead by Girls In Hawaii - an uplifting song about not being dead. I like the music video. (Whitney)

10. Tear You Down by RAC (ft. Alex Ebert) - I honestly don't know what this song is about... but it sure is dancey! (Jeffery)

11. No Matter Where You Are by Us - I'm kinda all about the vine, and when I came across the Us Duo, I instantly fell in love. They're famous for their clever 6 second covers, and now for their amazing album that recently came out. This is the cutest song and I can't help but love it. (Andie)

12. West Coast by Coconut Records - for your rainy April mornings. (Whitney)

13. Lights & Music by Cut Copy - what a an absolutely wonderful song. I think you can do anything while listening to this song. Anything. (Whitney)

14. Unkinder (A Tougher Love) by Thumpers - this song came on while working at Vans and I couldn't help but dance around the store a little. It was so refreshing from all the punk that we play at work. I downloaded it and it's the perfect windows-down jam. It's so catchy, and now I pray every day that it will come on while I'm working. (Andie)

15. Holy Ground by Taylor Swift - I don't care how you feel about this homegirl. This song is freaking great. And I KNOW you're not sick of it because it was never on the radio. It's not dubstep, or bubblegum pop. Just classic Talor rocking out to a persistent drum beat with the backing choir singing "Holy, Holy". Take a listen, you may be surprised! (Jeffery)

Peace and Pine Trees,
Whit



____________________________________
Past Mountain Woman Music Lists:
January
February
March
May - 2006 Edition
End of Summer


No comments:

Post a Comment

+ + + + + +