Thursday, January 16, 2014

Mountain Woman Music: January


I am always so curious about what song is being played in the car next to me, or in the headphones of some snowboarder I see riding down the slope. And I would be fascinated to know what my friends and family are listening to when they are alone. I would love the super power of knowing what everyone's top played song is.

Sometimes I get into a music rut and end up listening to country radio nonstop, and nothing else. It's because I'm lazy and don't take the time to update my phone's playlist. Happy news is that I recently broke out of that music rut! I'm working on taking better care of things in my daily life... and carving out time to freshen up my music on my phone is always rewarding, I have needed to spend time doing that for a while now. I have fallen in love with good music again, and listening to new tunes and old favorites has added some gusto to my winter days!

I appreciate when a blog I follow shares a little bit of their favorite music, so I decided it would be fun to publish some proper mountain woman music once a month. Andie (my sister who has great taste in music, and a fellow mountain woman) helped me come up with ten January mountain woman songs.... if you have been needing some fresh new tunes and consider yourself a modern day mountain woman.... I hope one of these songs calls to you.

Without further adieu, and in no particular order, here are ten songs that every proper mountain woman should have on her playlist this January:

1. Reflections, by Misterwives - starting this list off with a way good January mountain woman song, this girl sounds like she's singing her lungs out as she is standing up on a mountain ledge somewhere. Her voice sounds outdoorsy. And what better time for "reflections" than at the close of an old year, and the start of a new one? (Andie's pick)

2. 400 Lux, by Lorde - it's true that 9 out of 10 mountain women are Lorde fans. Get with it. (Andie's pick)

3. Southern California Wants to be New York, by Dar Williams - Ten years ago this summer, I signed up and went on a four day river trip through Desolation Canyon. On the trip one of the girls brought a guitar and played Dar Williams covers around the campfire at night. I had never heard any Dar Williams before and fell in love with her quirky hippy songs. After the trip, I came home, drove to "media play" and bought Mortal City. Listened to that CD all summer long... I thought of this song recently because I am so happy to be back where there is Winter and snow... Southern California isn't for me.

4. Good Friend, by Plants & Animals - A good friend told me to check out Plants and Animals thinking that they were right up my alley, they were right... now they are one of my favorite bands. Everything off their Park Avenue album, their first album, is sooo good. They are edgy and rustic sounding... the sort of sound most mountain women enjoy.

5. Want It Back, by Amanda Palmer - Love this song. Been listening to it all week.

6. Grown Woman, by Beyonce - In my opinion, the funnest song off her newest album. If I need a little pep to my step, this has been my jam. I love the African beat.

7. Better Get To Livin', by Dolly Parton - Since Dolly is my inspiration and motivation for 2014, I thought I would share one of my favorite positive songs of hers. This song is cheesy... but the message rings true! Since Dolly Parton is a mountain woman, you can go ahead and add her to your mountain woman playlist.

8. Last Hope, by Paramore -  more of a mellow song... but man, Hayley Williams can sing! And in case you didn't know, if you were a fan of hers back in the day, she's still singing and rocking... her album that came out last year was a no. 1 hit, and was released with critical acclaim. (Andie's pick)

9. Miracle Mile, by Cold War Kids - Good fun song. What's not to love about Cold War Kids? (Andie's pick)

10. White Winter Hymnal, by Fleet Foxes - Great winter song...for a slow, graceful, and happy run on my snowboard... this is my pick.


Peace and pine trees,
Whitney Joy



____________________________________
For other mountain woman music CLICK HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

+ + + + + +