Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Why We Shouldn't Cuss


Andie and I, who are long time fans of The Midnight Claw, found out Olan Rogers was in town a couple Saturdays ago... so we rushed up to Sugarhouse Park to stand in line for three hours to meet him! I am truly such a nerd because after all the laughter and delight I've had in watching this guys online videos I just feel like he is one of my dear friends, which is why I wanted to meet him. He is happy, original, hard-working, funny, and inspiring (see my other posts about him here and here). As the above picture suggests, it was worth the wait to meet him, what a role model.

I love when happy and creative people have success. I also love when comedians who aren't crass and crude do well. It seems like the world and mainstream media laugh the most at inappropriate stuff, which I think is cheap and easy. While I do enjoy a well placed cuss word every now and then, I think using less cuss words and more clever words takes more thought and makes you a delight to be around and a thrill to listen to.

Apparently Olan has been asked why he doesn't swear enough times that he has written an answer on his FAQ page... I love his answer.


SOOOOOO MANY PEOPLE ASK ME THIS hahaha
There are multiple reasons for this!
One, stems back to my high school T.V production class where it was a guideline in order to have your videos shown to the school.  This naturally made things very difficult in a world where comedy and cussing go hand in hand. I just keep this guideline.
Two, I sound like a idiot if I cuss like some people can cuss and sound like a boss and their delivery is just golden. I remember back in the 4th grade me & my friend Stephen were being chase down by some bullies and my friend Stephen yells out this string of curse words, freaking it was like slicing through Mozart butter, I mean for cursing it was art. So I decided to try my hand at it right after him and I come up with something that was so freaking stupid everyone starts laughing even Stephen hahaha I knew then I wan’t very good at it but the bonus the bullies were laughing so hard we got away and we got slushies. :)
Three, I began to realize cursing is the quick laugh everyone can cuss but not everyone can truly make someone laugh by doing honest comedy for example Monty Python, Charlie Chaplin & Buster Keaton. I laugh harder at that stuff then any comedy made today because modern comedy is all about gross out factors which I get why they do it but I’ll take Monty Python and the Holy Grail over any modern comedy hands down.
Four, I honestly don’t find it that funny, I’ll admit I do laugh at comedies/comedians who do it but that’s because they have crafted it so well or it’s done in moderation. But I think a lot of comedians just do it because every other comedian does it and it’s just accepted as what to expect from comedy. So naturally I like to do what makes me laugh.
.....
Using a cheap easy way to make a joke shows just how far and broad your thoughts and responses truly are. I, personally, haven't perfected it yet... which is why I get such a kick out of watching Olan's videos, I'm envious and fascinated by his proper wit and story-telling skills.... which are skills every proper mountain woman should work on to acquire.


These are just some of my on-going thoughts on the matter.

Thanks for reading,
Whitney Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment

+ + + + + +