Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Go! Turn The Ignition!


You know how people say if you need something done, have your busiest friend do it, or something like that? If that is really a saying, I don't know, I may have made it up just to start this post...

"If you want something done, ask a busy person to do it" that really is a saying, I just looked it up! So, ya know how people say that? It basically means that the busy person... the one that is already moving and grooving, crossing things off her to-do list, firing on all cylinders... will barely notice another thing being added to her list, and she will get it (whatever it is) done in a timely and proficient manner. On the other hand, the person who has nothing to do, even though they have all the time in the world to do it, they are going to take all kinds of pushing and prodding to get their engines going. The simplest task might take them weeks because they are so used to doing nothing at all!

Right now I am this second person. The person that can't seem to turn the ignition over and get a single thing done! I feel like I should be more depressed about it, but I am feeling pretty apathetic too. I had a job interview a couple weeks ago at an engineering firm I really want to work at, and the interview went really really well. I mean, it went so well that they are going to hire me, they just don't know when... so, I'm in this weird lazy void. I don't have any responsibilities, I have nothing to do all day.... I should be exercising, eating well, and getting all sorts of projects done, but I'm totally not. I have been eating junkie food, sleeping in, staying up late, and basically letting myself do whatever I want whenever I want to... no self discipline at all. 

Well, I am finally to the point that I need to start getting my butt in gear. I am a happier better person when I am more disciplined, and when I am working hard at something.... so, today, I start anew! And if I fail today, then tomorrow!

Self-discipline is the most allusive virtues for me, and one I hope I get better and better at it throughout my life. I enjoy reading about people who seem to have mastered it to understand it more. One of my all-time favorite self-discipline examples is from a book called "The Man Who Rode The Thunder" written by Lt. Col. William H. Rankin. It's all about his life as an aviator in the marines during the 40's and 50's, and about his amazing story of having to parachute from an F-8 fighter jet through a thunder storm (the only person who has survived such an event). His book is also full of his positive outlook on life, hard-work, and discipline.

Here is an excerpt from the book that I still think about often:

"In the past, I had always reconciled myself to un-exciting duty because I knew that by doing my very best sooner or later the duty I wanted most would come along. But as a logistics officer I discovered something more. I discovered that when dull, routine, colorless chores depress us, it is most often we, ourselves, who are at fault. For we allow that which is petty or dull to conquer and suppress that which is unsuppressible -- the human spirit. There is nothing on earth above which the human mind cannot rise, there are no dark corners of life that we cannot brighten, even a bit, for ourselves, if only we allow the human spirit to ignite a little flame now and then - to create a little perspective, a little humanity, a little sense of humor, a sense of the pride of accomplishment, even when there are no medals to be handed out, and we must feel that pride only in our hearts."

I love that.

Another person who inspires me is Olan Rogers. This morning he had a new YouTube video posted, so I clicked over to check it out and ended up watching his spring apparel video again, and loving it even more. I had my mom listen to me read his uplifting definitions for each graphic in his spring collection, and she was so inspired that she ordered his shirt "rise and rise again" right there on the spot.

This is what Olan Rogers has to say about "taking the road less traveled":

"There used to be this idea that through hard work and blazing your own path you could achieve anything you wanted. I believe this concept has become pretty watered down. It seems now that success is simply based on popularity and a lot of people believe that the world will just be handed to them. Unfortunately, foregoing the process of working your butt off to build yourself from the ground up shapes the person you become. My Dad once told me that the right way will never be the easy way. Take the road less traveled! It's by no means easy, but those who take it truly appreciate the journey, much more so than those who would have just had it handed to them."

Feeling inspired yet? And less lazy? I sure am! Time to start working my butt off and getting my huge list of things I want to get done, done.

My mom and I are also starting the 7-day GM Diet tomorrow morning... if any one would like to join us, please do! We are shifting gears over here!

2 comments:

+ + + + + +