Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Decorating Your Office

Decorating Your Office

My husband, Nic, called me from work one day a few weeks ago and told me he needed me to come help him make his new office “look more professional”. After moving to a bigger room his desk and frames currently looked out of place in the new space. I naturally gravitate toward color and quirky touches but that’s a fine line to walk in an office space (and more so than that it’s definitely not Nic's style). Nic is pretty traditional and likes grey tones and a clean, modern touch. We couldn't change his desk (which is kind of ugly and nonfunctional) but other than that we had a blank slate. I was trying really hard to make sure this space was a “Nic” space not an Amanda one. Ultimately, I wanted to help him feel like it was a happy, clean, professional, functional space he’d be comfortable meeting with clients in (as well as spending late nights slaving away in).

I have moved so much in my adult life and lived in SO many rentals that I feel like I can make any space feel like home. I feel like this particular skill-set is well suited for office decorating (because both come with limitations on what you can really do to renovate/change a lot of aspects of the space). By the end of the process Nic told me he couldn't stand to hear me say the words “accent piece” one more time. But all in all his office looks great, suits his style, and is comfortable place to spend the majority of his waking hours.

Find your Style-
(+++)
Years ago I heard the best way to discover your style was to go buy a bunch of house/design magazines and rip out all of the pages of things you love and eventually you’ll start to find themes. Flash-forward to the present and Pinterest has been unknowingly serving that function for millions of users. Looking over my own feed I noticed that the pins I most often put into my “home related” boards were almost always bright white rooms with bold pops of color. I always knew I loved colors but it wasn't until I objectively reviewed my feed that I realized “OH I find white with pops of color more appealing than a room just filled with tons of colors.” Reviewing my feed I also realized how heavily I admire sea foam green and aquas, how much I love a mix of mid-century modern and cottagey vintage charm. I bet if you reviewed your feed you’d find themes that would help you define your style as well.


The one thing Nic and I both agree on is we both like the style of Mid Century Modern furniture (think Mad Men with computers and iPhones). So we focused on finding a couple of functional pieces that had a Mid-Mod vibe. Nic ended up picking out those [see picture above] cool, grey arm chairs at World Market, which kind of became the springboard.

It takes time (and that’s okay)-
(+++)
Often times once we've identified what we like we want our space to transform into that vision immediately! But in almost all cases that’s not logical or feasible. It takes time to build a space into your vision. Get it cleaned-up and map out a plan of how you’d like to see it transformed. Make a timeline and on a weekly (or monthly) basis you can update/renovate/change elements of your space. That way you can look for deals, find exactly what you are looking for (as opposed to just settling on something that will do), it will also allow you to see how the changes are actually working with your workflow.

We had originally gotten Nic this dresser from IKEA but as his office changed we realized that he needed more space for his files (as well as a couple of places to store personal items) and we eventually ended up getting him this cabinet as well. We almost bought things that were marketed as “office furniture” but don’t be afraid to look around, because there are tons of things that serve the same function but aren't specifically marketed as such. The room still needs a few touches but for now it is serving it’s function.

Only Keep What you Love (also see next section Only Keep What you Need)-

(+++)
When I was first married, Whitney came over to my apartment around Christmas time and said “What is up with your decorations?” I hadn't given them much thought until she said that. My apartment was currently filled with a ceramic Santa wearing a blue suit surrounded by snowmen, some stuffed Christmas birds and other assorted yuletide knick-knacks. The truth of the matter was that my Mom was getting rid of all the decorations she didn't like and I offered to take them off her hands. Honestly, I didn't like any of them I just was putting up what I thought I was supposed to. After that Christmas I took those decorations down and threw them out. I don’t think I’m the first person that has put things up just because they are things, putting very little thought into whether or not we actually liked said things. But think about all those “things” at home and at your workplace and ask yourself “Why is it here?” (See below) and after that ask “Do I even LIKE it?” If the answer is no- get rid of it! If you don’t like something you certainly aren't going to miss it when it’s gone. Just the act of not cluttering up your space with things you don’t like gives the space a sense of value and purpose (which makes you feel better about where you are working, which then translates into you working harder).

Only Keep What you Need-
Sometimes (especially in the workplace) we can’t control a lot of the components of our space. So for the things we can’t control it’s important to eliminate the unnecessary where we can. If you never use manila folders why do you have a whole drawer dedicated to empty ones? If an office space is a place to work, make your office work for you! Look around your work- space and ask “what purpose does it serve?” What purpose do you want that drawer to serve? What purpose do I need that shelf to serve? If something isn't serving a purpose why is it there cluttering up your life? Keep in mind the purpose doesn't mean that everything has to be a utilitarian one! Maybe you need to hang a picture of Paris on your wall to get you through the day or have a small compartment dedicated solely to lip gloss. It doesn't matter what the purpose is, just that it something that benefits you and your work flow.

Have One Place for Everything-
(+++)
I’m sure you've heard the oft used organizing adage “A place for everything and everything in it’s place” I like to get even more specific than that and say have only ONE place for everything. Why do you have ten different places that paper clips go? Have one. This goes for pens, business cards, and bobby pins. There is no reason to have more than one place to store extra staples. Have one place for everything and then you’ll never have to search for it in more than one place. Think of businesses that you have frequented, don’t you feel more comfortable in a tidy place? I don’t care if it a doctor’s office, an accounting firm or a fast food restaurant, a cleaner space just feels more professional in and of itself!

Accent Pieces-
I think that adding a few accent pieces is the best way to liven up your space and add a bit of personality. However, it is important to know your place and what is acceptable in your work environment, for example I once had a coworker bring a giant statue of Abraham Lincoln and put it on his desk (on his second day). It was really weird and out of place. Nobody else had any personal touches on their desks, let alone a bronze face that took up half his desk. Know the culture of your work environment. Pick things that make you happy and motivate you to work harder in your space, not necessarily things that draw attention to you and and your space. I’m a sucker for themes- I think it helps tie things together. But I also don’t think it should be so rigid that you become “the owl girl” or whatnot. Nic really likes maps and picked a big art piece that suited his style and tied his office together [see picture above]. He has some silver, globe bookends in his bookshelf, but had to draw the line at this really awesome stand alone globe because he didn't want to be “the map guy.” Sometimes a theme can be as simple as a color scheme but really there are no rules, so long as it’s something that makes you happy.
(+++)
If your workplace space doesn't allow for much personality there is no reason you can’t have a killer home office space! I feel like I get so much more done when I’m in a clean, organizedhappy space, I could balance the heck out of a checkbook in any one of those spaces! Although Whitney asked me to write about how to decorate a professional office a lot of the post if more about function than decor. I think that makes sense in a professional space! They always say “dress for the job you want” and I think the same applies to your office space itself. Make the space you work in one that will encourage you to work the most efficiently you can- for me an office that is both beautiful and function is the way to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

+ + + + + +