Monday, September 29, 2014

A Proper Modern Mountain Woman: Hayley Christiansen



Better Know a Proper Mountain Woman: Hayley Christiansen
I was absolutely thrilled that this girl wanted to be interviewed for the blog. What I know about Hayley is that she's good at jokes, loves the mountains and the outdoors, and is everyone's favorite. I've known Hayley a long time, she's been friends with my siblings for years and years, but her and I haven't ever spent much time together... which must be why I have always thought of her as being sort of mysterious. Well, today I am happy to be able to unravel the mystery a little, and get to know this proper mountain woman better. Hayley and her husband Nate have been married for several years and make their home in Logan, Utah. Hope you enjoy her answers as much as I do!

1. Where is your favorite outdoor refuge where you live right now?

I love Logan Canyon. This time of year is so beautiful up there, I have been trying to get up there at least once a week for a hike or even just a nice drive. I also love riding my bike around town, I ride to work whenever I can and it makes my day so much better. 


2. What do you do to feel creative? What is your creative outlet?

I really love to dance. It is so therapeutic and it allows me to release a lot of emotion. Most the time this happens in my bedroom right before bed when I hear an amazing song that just has to be danced to. But recently I auditioned to be part of a women's modern dance company and made it!  I have started attending classes with them and it feels so good to dance like that again. It's feels like I'm releasing all the toxic build up from my crazy technology filled days. It clears my mind and allows me to be more creative in many other aspects of my life. 

3. What is your favorite mountain? 

Timpanogos. I have stared at it my whole life and never really appreciated it's majesty until I left. The mountains in Logan are beautiful but cannot even compare to the impressiveness of Timp. I was recently able to summit it for the first time after trying several attempts and it was so beautiful. I think this will always be my favorite mountain because it's been such a big part of my life and it will always be home to me.


4. What would you say is a mountain that you have conquered in life?

I think the biggest mountain I've faced is something I am currently still working on and unfortunately I cannot say that I have conquered it yet, but it has helped me to conquer smaller mountains. I have learned to be a little more present and to stop comparing. Social media is a comparison trap and comparison truly is the thief of joy. I have to be really careful not to get too carried away in people I barely know. If I don't know them, it is much easier to pass judgments and lie to myself about how incredible their life is. I've learned to focus on my close friends and family, because I know their whole story, it is not hard for me to be genuinely happy for their success and happiness. It's something I'll probably always have to work on and be conscious of, but I have come a long way. 


5. Is etiquette important to you?

Yes! I hear girls saying stuff like, "chivalry is dead!" and I always think that if you want a chivalrous man, then you need to act like a lady! There are many aspects to etiquette, some of them I completely agree with, others aren't that important to me.

Some of the things that are most important to me are:
-Be on time. I don't understand when it became so acceptable to be late. I am not okay with that.
-Be a good host. Take care of your guests, offer them a drink, and make them feel welcome.
-Accept compliments.  No need to have an argument about whether or not you really lost weight. Just say thank you and get on with it!
-Dress modestly, and sit like a lady. If you want to be treated like a lady, dress like one.
-Don't be vulgar. Vulgarity is no substitute for wit.
-Leave your phone alone when with other people (this includes cashiers!)
-Be polite. Even and especially on the road and on the internet. 

Some of the things that aren't as important to me:
-Saying "bless you" after someone sneezes. I usually sneeze 3 or 4 times and people will say "bless you" after every single one. Not necessary and a little annoying. Another thing that drives me crazy about this is if you happen to have a big or loud sneeze people will say "bleeesss you!!" in a tone that almost makes you feel bad for sneezing. Just keep your "bless yous" to yourself. Thank you. 
-Having the door opened for me, it's a nice gesture and I will always accept it, but if I'm closer to the door, it's not necessary to run in front of me and make things all awkward. 
-Place settings. I don't really care which way my knife is facing or where my fork is as long as I get to eat. 

6. What do you do to feel motivated when you are feeling lazy, or you feel like you are in a rut?

Talking to an old friend can usually help me out. If not that sometimes I just have to force myself out the door for a run or a bike ride. Another thing that can usually trigger some inspiration is a really good song, I usually have one or two go-to songs that I will turn on super loud and just escape for a few minutes.  

7. What daily routine do you have to help you feel more feminine or more like a proper lady?

I've never been good at "smelling good". I don't smell bad (I don't think) just average, always clean and showered, but nothing more. I have started to try several different perfumes and it has made me feel so much more feminine. I get little whiffs of it throughout the day and it's a great reminder to be a lady.

8. What is your favorite fingernail polish brand and color?

I'm not a big nail polish person, I can only really handle it on my toes. But I do love OPI and I just got a nude color that I am loving. 

9. What is your favorite song that you've been listening to?

I am pretty much just alternating between "The Mute" by Radical Face and "45's" by Chromeo. They are both such feel good songs and can lift my mood in no time. 

10. What new hobbies or skills are you currently pursuing? Do you ever feel nervous about trying something new?

We just recently became gun owners, so we have been shooting a lot. I have become a lot better and there's no better feeling than hitting your target.
It is scary to try new things, but I really enjoy the feeling of accomplishing something I've never done, and never thought I could do. I'm always willing to try something at least once. 

___________________

1 comment:

  1. I love Hayley! She's amazing! And a perfect example of a proper mountain woman. :)

    ReplyDelete

+ + + + + +