Wednesday, August 20, 2014

A Proper Modern Mountain Woman: Kyra Miller



Better Know a Proper Mountain Woman: Kyra Miller
Kyra Miller is a native born New Mexican now living in Calgary, Canada with her husband (Tom) and newborn baby daughter (Ida Mae). Her passions are traveling, yoga (learning and teaching), and weekend exploring. What I love about Kyra is that she is super involved in life, she's a doer, she does things, she doesn't just sit around and wait for life to happen to her. And even more impressive to me is that she puts importance on volunteering and serving in her community. She's one of my favorite proper mountain woman, I hope you enjoy her responses to these questions...

1. Where is your favorite outdoor refuge where you live right now?

Right now, on the weekends I love exploring the Canadian Rockies. We try to get up almost every weekend for an adventure, sometimes it's a great day skiing or peak bagging and sometimes it's just a rainy drive. I always think we have done so much but then when I'm in the city, and it's a really clear day, the mountains just shoot up from the ground and run from north to south, and I think we haven't even touched them yet. It's thrilling to know that you can always see something beautiful and new just an hour away. Right now, during the week it's the early morning (I mean like 4 am early) walks that I take with Ida Mae in our neighborhood. Being in Canada during the summer, the days are endless and the flora and fauna are unreal. It's like a real nature hike every time. And at that hour we are usually alone with the twilight.

2. What do you do to feel creative? What is your creative outlet?

It's a bit odd, but for me, going to the thrift store and finding clothing to rework makes me feel like a treasure hunter. I also love to see what's in my kitchen and just make something based off the ingredients I have. I hate following recipes or doing any kind of exact measuring, which is why I will never be a great baker.
And finally, coming up with community events, gets my brain juices flowing which is a gift I will always be grateful for, professionally and socially.

3. What is your favorite mountain? 

This question is impossible. But I suppose the constant would be the Sandia Mountains in New Mexico. I learned the joys of trail running and solo exploration there. I feel like it's somewhere I know so well, yet haven't even covered half of them. It's a great place to go alone with the dogs or to show other people.

 

4. What would you say is a mountain that you have conquered in life?

Sometimes I think I haven't conquered any mountains just a series of false summits and I am totally okay with that. Though there has been 3 distinct periods in my life where I had to make the choice to be positive and to figure out who I wanted to be to others. I think making it through those periods and coming out successful have been my greatest accomplishments and consequently allowed a series of wonderful blessings to come into my life. Becoming confident in your understanding that you are watched over and learning how to care for others is a mountain I will to happily scale.

 

5. Is etiquette important to you? How do you plan on teaching etiquette to Ida Mae? 

My mother was so good about teaching us etiquette. I still love to send personalized hand written thank you notes thanks to her constant insistence. With baby girl, I think the biggest thing is to teach her to be grateful, excited and considerate. If she's nothing else I'd love her to have those traits. I feel like with her it will just be steps. When they walk you teach them when to run, stand and tip toe; when they can talk you teach them the proper words to say; when they start to write you teach them nice things they can do with written (typed) word. And there's nothing more powerful than a silent example.

 

6. What do you do to feel motivated when you are feeling lazy, or you feel like you are in a rut?

That's tricky. Often times Ill see what people are doing and think I can or need to do that, but at the same time looking at blogs, pinterest, instagram, etc have a tendancy to make me feel stifled. I find that reading good books or poetry get my mind working and going to musical events get me excited to find a new avenue for myself. I also remind myself that I don't have to try to be something I was, I should try to evolve. 

7. What daily routine do you have to help you feel more feminine or more like a proper lady?

Mascara. I fully believe that everyone looks better with a swipe of mascara so no matter what or where I always have it with me. I have also learned a few other things that about being a proper lady with my summers abroad. While working on a farm in Asia I learned that earrings will always make you look just a dash nicer even covered in sweat and dirt. And the women in Africa taught me that a real woman can do anything in a skirt.

8. What is your favorite fingernail polish brand and color?

I don't have a brand, in fact, hold your O.P.I. loving-breath, I usually buy the cheapest stuff at the store. But it is always red. Always has and always will. I only paint my fingernails for very special occasions or to feel like a different person, but I always have my toes painted red. I even make sure to bring it when I'm camping, traveling, or even when covered with socks all winter.

9. What is your favorite song that you've been listening to?

Way Over Yonder in Minor Key has been on repeat for awhile now. I first discovered it on a Woody Gutherie CD I randomly checked out of the library, but then later Tom found an amazing Billy Brag and Wilco version. It reminds me that there is a whole lot more music out there that I want to be listening to.

10. What new hobbies or skills are you currently pursuing? Do you ever feel nervous about trying something new?

I think the biggest thing I learned in college is that it can be really challenging to learn something new but you just have to. Life is lived in stages and each stages needs it's hobbies and skills. Right now, I have finally gotten a garden to grow. Most of that can be accredited to Calgary's weather, but I have never had the right spot or even time in the summer to do it. And now I can't even keep up with it, it's flourishing so quickly. I am also mentally preparing myself for continuing my winter pursuit of being a telemark skier. But the desert girl in me still just doesn't believe that one should go down at high speeds on angled ice and snow. But when your husband is willing to cross country ski and snowshoe, you have to give him some lift days.

___________________

No comments:

Post a Comment

+ + + + + +