Wednesday, October 26, 2016

A Proper Mountain Woman: Riana Coombs



Better Know a Proper Mountain Woman: Riana Coombs
I'm excited for a new installment in our on-going series, better know a proper mountain woman, and I'm even more excited to be featuring this amazing woman. Riana is someone I have been wanting to interview for this series for a long time because she is an all-around inspiration and the perfect example of a proper mountain woman. I admire so many things about her... her work ethic, her eclectic hobbies, and her love for doing things. She's the kind of person, for example, who can beautifully do your lashes one day, then shoot the most gorgeous bridals for your upcoming wedding the next. She's an amazing cook/baker, foodie, world traveler, maker/creator, hair dresser, nurse, accordain player, snowboard/wakeboarder, and more! At one point we were in a book club, food  club, and movie club together - that's when I really got to know her and I fell in love with how easy-going and down to Earth she is.
She and her husband currently reside in NYC with their dog and new baby boy (Rocco), hope you enjoy her answers!

1. Where is your favorite outdoor refuge where you live right now?
Long Island is my refuge! Ryan and I have been exploring Long Island for the past couple years and last summer we finally found our perfect spot in a town called Oyster Bay. We went sailing there this weekend and it was so beautiful. Long Island has beautiful beaches and forests and farms and vineyards - there really is a little bit of everything. The fall is magical out there, everyone drives out from the city to go pick pumpkins. We can leave Brooklyn and be at our favorite beach in 45 minutes. I never imagined that when I moved to the city.

2. What do you do to feel creative? What is your creative outlet?
I am a chronic hobbyist. Sometimes I wish that I would just stick to one thing and get really good at it but I always move on to something else after a while. I've taken a lot of different classes, from knitting to bellydancing to accordion lessons. Currently I have been trying to perfect my bread making. I have been following the Tartine method and I've made some really good bread - all sourdough with slow fermentation. From start to finish it takes around 36 hours to bake 2 loaves. It's intense - so intense that usually I just go to the bakery and buy a loaf. But when I do attempt it and it turns out perfect, it is one of the most rewarding things ever. And it tastes better than anything you can buy.

3. What is your favorite mountain?
My favorite mountain is Timpanogas. It's the most majestic mountain I have ever seen - especially the back side. I'm in love with Sundance. It's the one place I miss more than ever while living in New York.

4. What would you say is a mountain that you conquered in life?
Before having Rocco I would have said getting my RN was the biggest hurdle that I had conquered. Nursing school is rough! I had no idea how hard it would be. I was really so proud of myself for finishing and becoming licensed. But now after having a baby, I would definitely say that that has made me feel like such a strong human being. It makes me feel like I can do anything.

5. Is proper etiquette important to you?
I think every parent should take time to teach their kids etiquette. Because we are living in a city, I think it is even more important. We are around so many people every day. I'm so grateful that Rocco has my husband Ryan to learn from. Ryan is so chivalrous. He's the kind of guy who from the beginning, always called instead of texted. He jumps at every chance he can to carry anything for me and for anyone really. Etc. etc. Politeness is a dying virtue unfortunately but I think that parents can really change that if they spend the time teaching their kids those values. My parents were always really good at teaching us through their example. I specifically remember them emphasizing the importance of not interrupting people. I still think I do a pretty good job of that, although in New York you almost have to interrupt people to get a word in sometimes. People like to talk a lot, and mostly about themselves which I've realized is a major pet peeve of mine that I will definitely teach my kids to avoid. 

6. What do you do to feel motivated when you are feeling lazy, or you feel like you are in a rut?
First thing is to take a shower! That always helps. Living in Brooklyn has been really inspiring for me. So many things get their start here from fashion and trends to food and entertainment. I feel so lucky to be able to be inspired and rejuvenated just by walking down the streets. People are really fighting to live their dreams and I feed off of that. It's caused me to do a lot of soul searching to think about what I want to do now that I am a stay at home mom. I definitely think that being a mom is a full time job and I am content with that, but I think it's still important to contribute more of myself in some way. Michael Ian Black has a podcast called How To Be Amazing and I have become really inspired listening to some of his interviews. 


7. What daily routine do you have to help you feel more feminine or a proper lady?
I definitely feel the most confident and feminine when I am active and taking care of myself. Going to the gym every morning has really helped me feel more like a woman. It makes me feel so much stronger and more confident in myself. I also try to make cleaner meals and I feel infinitely better when I do. 

8. What is your favorite fingernail polish brand and color?
I love OPI and my favorite color right now would probably be To Be Continued... (yeah, that's the name). It's a pastel blue.

9. What is your favorite song that you've been listening to?
Go Flex by Post Malone. I don't listen to the radio so I don't know if it's overplayed and lame already but I can't enough of it. Rocco and I jam out to it at least twice a day.

10. What new hobbies or skills are you currently pursuing? Do you ever feel nervous about trying something new?
I just bought a domain and I want to start a website/blog. I don't know how much longer we will be living here and I want to document more of our life in New York. Starting a website seems easy and daunting all at the same time. I've been reading a lot of articles about it and am finally ready to start working on it. For some reason I feel nervous about it. I love trying new things but I am always nervous in the beginning. I think it's good for me.

+ + + + +

Oh Riana! I can't wait for this future blog of yours, I know we are all in for a treat!
 
And everyone else, thanks for reading!
 
+ + + + +

To read more interviews with proper mountain women... CLICK HERE.

2 comments:

  1. Love you Re!!! She is an amazing women and I have been inspired by her for years! Love the article and interview thanks for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love me some Riana. She really does have the most eclectic hobbies, the perfect proper mountain woman!

    ReplyDelete

+ + + + + +