Monday, February 9, 2015

Mountain Woman Music: Valentines


The rare thrill I get deep in my soul when I find a new song that speaks to me is one of my favorite things. I used to not enjoy when others share songs with me because it was so hit and miss... and I don't like telling someone I don't dig their music. But sometimes it's a good thing, every so often someone will share a rad song that speaks to me that I have never heard before. If one of the following songs gives you one of those rare thrills deep in your soul... then my work here is complete.

Music is a personal experience. Be as well rounded as you can with it.

Here's my two lists for Valentines this week, one for those in love, and one for those who ain't.

LIST 1 - LUCKY IN LOVE THIS VALENTINES:

My Brightest Diamond by Pressure - my new favorite song... it's unexpected. For some Valentines is about getting jewelry and diamonds from someone they love. This song is about working hard for those diamonds! I hope your lover spoils you on this special day and you can march and dance around to this tune!

Flightless Bird, American Mouth by Iron & Wine - such a pretty soft song.

Old 45's by Chromeo - the best song to dance to, and celebrate romance.

Love Never Felt so Good by Michael Jackson - let's not forget how great this song is.

Look At You Girl by Chris Ledoux - my opinion is that good country music is the best kind of Valentine music. What makes this song special? It was written by a real cowboy for his wife. Every proper mountain woman should be familiar with Ledoux... what a man.

Holding On To You by Miranda Lambert - when I first heard this song it sort of reminded me of the Chris Ledoux song above, and thought that this could be the girl version. I think this song is the sweetest real woman love song.



LIST 2 - FEELING A LITTLE BITTER THIS VALENTINES:

Tokyo Sunrise by LP - I'm digging this happy song along with the warm sunny weather here in Utah, it's been a while since a recent song made me stop and listen like this one... "love is never gone away, it's gonna come around some day". It's the happiest most hopeful song in this bottom list.

Caring is Creepy by The Shins - I love the break down in this song.

The Killing Type by Amanda Palmer - loooove this song... the lyric "I would kill to make you feel" is so real sometimes.

Beware the Dog by The Griswolds - a happy song to feel crazy to. (*warning, the music video is a little gruesome)

Every Other Freckle by Alt J - this song has a weird familiar sad overtone to it, but at the same time it makes me feel like I am wrapped up in a thick warm blanket.

Love Lockdown by Kanye West - I actually was heartbroken when 808's & Hearbreaks was released... and as ridiculous Kanye West is, he was nailing it.

Cecilia by Simon & Garfunkel - just come home already, girl... this guy loves you.

And to add some country to this bottom list... my favorite "mournful/bitter" love song is Why Not Me by The Judds - for me this song never gets old.

What's your favorite song right now? I really would love to know.

2 comments:

  1. Greg Laswell does a cover of This Woman's Work...definitely worth a listen.

    ReplyDelete

+ + + + + +