Tuesday, July 22, 2014

New Hobby: Gardening

I am a newbie at gardening for sure, don't get me wrong, but I thought I would pass along the two things that have helped me the most in knowing what to do. The first thing is this book:

I have always thought that gardening was a noble skill. In my younger adult years I decided that the pinnacle achievement of adulthood was having land to grow your own food on, having enough time to spend doing it, and then knowing how to use your bounty to cook and store it. To have the "wisdom and know-how" to garden and to make a beautiful outdoor landscape seems so proper and mountain woman-ly. This book is perfect for reaching that goal, I can't recommend it enough, it has everything you would ever want to know about taking care of your yard and growing any kind of garden. There are delightful well written articles from many different people, and an awesome glossary in the back. You can look up any fruit, any veggie, any flower, plant, weed, tree, bird, gardening technique, and garden terminology you can think of in it. It teaches you everything... from brewing your own fertilizer... to building your own bird house... to laying brick for a garden path. I keep this giant book on the back porch and thumb through it several times a day looking things up. Compared to googling things on the internet, I feel like this book is a trustworthy source and way funner to read.

The second helpful thing has been this App:


This app is great because you can see the timeline for your plants, what they should look like, and when they will be ready to harvest. You simply put in your location, the day you planted (from seed or starter), and it knows show how much they should be growing based on the temperature and climate of where you live. Pretty cool. The illustrations are my favorite. It also gives you little tasks and reminders along the way of what you should be doing to help your plants out.

Since I got gardening on the brain... below is what I've been wanting to get for myself. Some proper gardening things that would help with my proper mountain gardening cred.

My Proper Mountain Gardening Wish-List

These boots: The Hunter Garden Boot

but preferably...

These beauties: duck printed Wellies, on sale, but not my size!


A vintage watering can or two. Found here and here.

These hand-painted gardening gloves made here in Utah.


And I am totally digging these labels for some garden decor.

And a proper mountain woman hat for keeping the sun off my nose.
The bottom one here is my favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment

+ + + + + +