Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Sweetest Thing

This picture I snapped in Wales:


While hanging out in Cardiff Bay for a few days, I frequented Bute Park quite a bit. Bute Park is a big green park that runs along the taff river, and has a great view of the back of cardiff castle. Every day I would walk around the city, buy some food at the market, then go chill in this park - taking naps in the sunshine and people watching.

Once when I was walking along the river walkway, trying to find a place to sit, I came across this old Welsh couple enjoying the afternoon sun together. What a tender sight. He in his wheelchair, and she with her folding chair - just watching the river flow by.

What are they talking about?

How long have they been together?

How did they meet?

What has their lives been like?

How often do they have these little picnics?

Every time I get heavily into a country music phase I find myself wondering if the love that these good cowboys sing about is real or not. It seems too good to be true. How can a man and woman love each other so much after so long? Are they still best friends after weathering so much life together? Do men really love their woman's love as much as Eric Church sings about... "and yes I love good cold beer and mustard on my fries, I love a good loud honky tonk that rocks on friday nights.. .and hell yes I love my truck, but I want you to know - honey, I love your love the most.... yeah I love scuffed up cowboy boots, and broke in tore up jeans, a four wheel drive, eight point bucks and rocky road ice cream... and hell yes I love my dog, and Jack D in my coke, but honey I love your love the most."? It's hard for me to imagine any man putting his woman at the top of a list like this even after 40+ years. But then I think of this picture.

And maybe this man does love this woman's love. Loves her love more than a good rugby match, night out in the pub, tom jones and brains brewed beer. And that makes me happy.

2 comments:

+ + + + + +