Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Mt Whitney

I feel like reading magazines is such a luxury. Only people who bask by the pool, lay in hospital beds, or don't have jobs have time for magazines. When I worked at Kohlers and saw women (house wives) buying magazines, I would think "enjoy your reading! and your bon-bons!" as they flitted away from my check stand. I only feel this way because I, personally, just don't have time to lay around enjoying one. I always have something more constructive to read or do.

As I was flying from Salt Lake to Chicago, Chicago to Toronto, and Toronto to London, earlier this month - I managed to squeeze in some luxury magazine reading. And look at this gem I found in an outdoor magazine!

(coolest neon signed motel ever - amanda, you love?)
As a young girl I heard about Mt Whitney down in California, and thought one day I would climb it. Well, now I will! Maybe this year, maybe next summer... but I am going to do it soon. The magazine article suggests crashing here at this motel, and then starting your journey! I will start at Whitney Portal, spend the first day getting to Trail Camp, then the second day push to the summit. 99 switch backs, 22 miles, purifying your own water, sightings of black bear, Sequoia National Park, an elevation of 14,500 feet - the highest summit in the contiguous 48 states, and extraordinary views of the Inyo National Forest! Perfect, everything MY mountain ought to have.

Mt WHITNEY here I come!
thank you, outdoor magazine, without you I would not have thought the dream was a reality!

2 comments:

  1. Please let me be a person who hikes Mt. Whitney with you!



    PS I subscribe to least 4 magazines. I have yet to eat a bon bon while reading one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The moment I saw that sign my heart skipped a beat! I just got back (like minutes ago) from Arizona and that drive is littered with cool signs I thought "Nobody understand how much I love these signs." I wished my camera was working and you were the one driving (because you always let me stop at the signs I love.)

    Side Note: Found you a man down South (Beaver, perhaps?) He was riding his bike from New York to San Fran. He left May 17, maybe you can meet up with him.

    ReplyDelete

+ + + + + +