Friday, April 13, 2018

home-making and social media


For the past couple years I have tried to take the back seat in the blogging world. I felt in my soul that I needed to take a break, and really soak up home life around me. I'm so glad that I listened to my gut, because soon after I made the decision to take a break, write a post about it, and free myself from thinking about it, we found out we were pregnant! So I've just settled myself into this social media hiatus and worked on relishing this season of life I'm in. It is one of the best decisions I've ever made.

I love being Davey's mom, it is awesome to me. He is almost 14 months old now, and he is the happiest sweetest boy in the whole wide world. I can't get enough of him. Every day I get to love him and care for him, and watch him, it's a magical job and it has added so much sweetness to my soul, and want to know something else magical? As I type this post I can feel the kicks and punches of baby #2 who will be joining our family this summer! To me, it's a wonderful and miraculous time in my life. 

I spend a lot of time thinking about being a good mom, and about being a good home-maker. I want to be the best. I want this house to be comfortable and relaxing, filled with things that lift our moods and have meaning to our little Dodge family. I aspire to be a good cook, have a clean kitchen, create family traditions, be an amazing record keeper, scrapbooker, budgeter, maybe home school teacher, AND be a good dog mom! For a while I thought that to be those things I needed to give up social media all together, noting that some of the moms I admire most don't even have an instagram handle! But then, after a few weeks of ranting that I was completely done with all of social media and how horrible it was, I realized that for me, I actually get a lot of inspiration and creative motivation from interesting women I follow. And it's a good thing. I love getting book recommendations, fashion inspiration, beauty tips, recipes, and home decor ideas that are from women and companies who intrigue and fascinate me. 

Sure, there are a lot of horrible people on Instagram that make me want to pound my head into a wall with how hard they are trying, or with how self obsessed they are... I've learned to ignore them. I try not to click over to them. If I spend time focusing and scrolling through some of these feeds that I think are total train wrecks with recycled cliche empty captions, I am put in a bad mood. And bad moods are a waste of precious time.

I will always love blogging. I wish everybody I knew had one. I have been blogging since the dawn of the Internet, and sometimes it seems my brain is conditioned to want to be always posting. I think this is how it is for most people, it's just become part of our lives. I guess what I am saying is that I can't give it up, blogging about my pursuit of being a proper mountain woman brings me joy, so I will be sharing that part of myself again... and right now the chapter I'm on in this pursuit is all about house-making and motherhood (proper mountain woman style), with a soon-to-be-walking toddler, and another baby on the way, there is much to learn and discover!

No comments:

Post a Comment

+ + + + + +