Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Hello September! Poppy Seed Bread W/ Orange Glaze



I really had the fullest of intentions of going in to work on Saturday, to rack up some over time and get a jump on the structure drawings that magically piled up on my desk Friday afternoon. I really did. But once I left the office and started breathing the crisp September air into my lungs... I realized that work can wait till Monday. There are only a handful of September weekends in the year, no fool should waste them being inside a fluorescent lit office, even for that sweet sweet over time money.
When I walk outside and smell fall on horizon (especially this year, being newly married) my nesting instinct kicks in and I just want to putter around the house, I want to cook and bake, and I want to prepare the inside to be cozy and snug.
Friday night we had company over so we lit a campfire in the back of our scrub oak covered property, listened to good music, and roasted marshmallows. Saturday I woke up and decided to finish painting our front door, which I completed just in time, because the fall mums are blooming along the front walk. Now that I'm the official "mrs" of the house, it has got to look proper! Then I clipped some of the dahlias and zinnias to bring inside to brighten the kitchen. Sunday we got some chopped veggies and broth simmering in the crock-pot to enjoy all this next week. Which was so smart, because it's been hitting the spot after work the past couple days.

Here's another easy bread recipe for you all to enjoy as you putter around on these fall weekends. I got this recipe from one of my favorite roommates, years and years ago... Emily Earl,  I think of you every time I make this! So delicious and bright!

Poppy Seed Bread w/ Orange Glaze

Ingredients:
3 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 cups sugar (low altitude use 2 1/2 cups)
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/8 cup wesson oil
1 Tbl poppy seeds
3 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 tsp almond extract

Directions:
Mix all ingredients together.
For a large loaf bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, then at 300 degrees and bake for 60 minutes.
For small loaves bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, then at 300 degrees for 25 minutes.

+ + + + + + +

Orange Glaze Ingredients:
2 tsp butter
2 tsp milk
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup orange juice
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract

Orange Glaze Directions:
Boil all ingredients for 1 minute.

+ + + + + + +

When bread is done baking, let rest for a minute in the pan, poke holes in the top with a toothpick and pour glaze over bread.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

+ + + + + +