Thursday, June 9, 2016

Proper Plant Profile: The Coneflower

Since gardening and landscaping is on my mind, I've decided to share a few plant profiles I've fallen in love with recently.

The Coneflower

The purple coneflower (or Echinacea) was once just a wild flower growing on the American prairie. This hardy perrenial is also a very useful herb that the Native Americans used as a medicine to boost the immune system, remove infection and fight fever.

I've read on the Internet that it can help treat the common cold, chronic tonsillitis, oral infections, vaginal discharges, urinary tract infection, gum disease, skin infection, acne, chronic fatigue syndrome, migraines, ADHD, rheumatism, cancer, and bronchitis. It's also an aphrodisiac!!! A very useful flower to have growing in your garden, indeed!

These tall beauties bloom in summer and last till fall. I've seen them in some of my favorite gardens around my neighborhood. My ferry-morse seed package reads: dramatic background plant for border, perennial, wildflower, or rock garden. long-lasting cut-flower. a favorite of butterflies and bees. drought resistant.

If you live here in Utah, you can plant these from seed any time this summer, for blooms next year.

Every proper mountain woman should have some growing in her garden to help ward off winter illnesses in her household. I am looking forward to learning how to make teas and tinctures next fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment

+ + + + + +